Unemployed or about to lose their job

Learn more about the tips and rules for job searching at the Job Market. Log in and create your own profile, which will enable you to receive recommendations for a job and employers to contact you directly. Register as an unemployed jobseeker through the TE Services’ E-services no later than on your first day of unemployment.

If you become unemployed or complete your studies and have no employment, register as an unemployed jobseeker no later than on your first day of unemployment. You can do this online through the TE Services’ E-services.

Unemployed jobseeker refers to jobseekers who are not currently employed as well as those who are laid off or whose work time has been reduced to a shortened work week and those jobseekers who are outside the labour force.

If you do not have online banking codes, a mobile certificate or a smart ID card, or you are not a citizen of an EU or EEA Member State, you can register by telephone or by visiting a TE Office in person. 

After beginning your job search, if you are applying for unemployment benefits, you will receive a labour policy statement on your eligibility for unemployment security, or a request for more information on which the statement will be based. Various matters affect your entitlement to unemployment security. Find out more details in the section The rights and obligations of an unemployed jobseeker. In the E-Services, you can respond to requests for additional information, read the issued labour policy statements and see the current status of the processing of your reports. 

Registering as a job seeker and applying for unemployment benefits during local government trials

In the local government trials on employment, the tasks of the TE Office concerning certain customer groups will be transferred via legislation to the municipality participating in the trials. All customers register however as job seekers to the TE Office, preferably using the e-services on the home page for TE-services. The trials do not affect on how you apply for unemployment benefits from Kela or an unemployment fund. Unemployment benefits will only be paid for the period when you are registered as a jobseeker. 

More information

You can apply for an unemployment benefit either from your unemployment fund or from Kela. Unemployment benefits will only be paid for the period when you are registered as a jobseeker at the TE Services. 

Re-register as an unemployed jobseeker also after completing labour market training or a pay subsidy period. 


You can browse for vacancies with the help of free word search. If you want to narrow your search, select "More search terms". You can find the most suitable jobs for you by logging in and creating your own job search profile. This way, you will see the best vanacies directly for you, and employers looking for employees may be in direct contact with you!

The transition security service becomes relevant when productional or financial reasons force companies to serve notices of redundancy to workers. The transition security service provides support to workers who have been dismissed after being made redundant.  

The goal of the transition security service is to help you move forward as quickly and as easily as possible. The transition security service includes help such as paid leave for job searching, training during the redundancy notice period and preparation of a personal employment plan together with the TE office. 
Advice on the transition security service is available from the telephone service and from the TE Office's change security experts. 

Instructions for customers in local government trials on employment 

If you are a customer of a local government trial on employment, your municipality of residence can advise you on matters related to transition security. In addition, the transition security experts at your region's TE Office can help you in matters related to transition security. TE Office's telephone services are also available to you. 


More information

Job hunting is a skill that you can learn and develop until you are a master at it.

You need to work to get work. Put some effort into it and be brave. 

Finding a job is never easy, and the road to employment is often riddled with complicated problems. Remember that job hunting is a skill that you can learn and develop until you are a master at it. 
Did you find a job that interests you? Here are a few tips on how you should proceed. 

  • What are the job’s main responsibilities and special requirements? 
  • Do you need a specific degree or certain type of work experience? 
  • What can you learn from the requirements of the job? 
  • What type of people are they looking for to fill the position? 
  • Do the tasks correspond to your skills? 
  • Are you interested in the employer, field and work tasks? 

Find more background information on the employer. You should at least know the employer’s 

  • field, size and vision, as well as their organisational structure 
  • different departments and the duties of those who work in them. 

Contact the employer to make sure that the job that they are advertising corresponds to your skills and wishes. The advertisement will usually spell out the ways that you can contact the employer. Always call whenever you can – it will help you decide whether to apply for the job or not. 

A job search is a negotiation between an employer and a potential future employee. Your call may be the ticket to making the employer become more interested in your skills. They will now remember your name, which will be a big help when they begin narrowing down their options. Ask what type of person they are looking for and what type of expertise will be emphasised during the selection process. 

To prepare for your call, write down a list of your skills and strengths that are related to the job and remember to keep your CV at hand. If the job does not perfectly match your work and educational background, but you would still like to apply for it, try to think of how you could use the skills that you have learned in other types of tasks. 

Different work tasks require different personal attributes and skills – and these can be your strengths. The most important thing when it comes to all types of work tasks − in addition to knowing what the job entails and having the correct skills − is having the right kind of attitude. You have to trust that you are a good applicant and potential new employee. 

When you are planning to call an employer who has not advertised a vacancy 

  • try to first find out who is responsible for recruitments for the job that you want 
  • make sure that you have their title, name and phone number 
  • call the contact person and tell them what types of positions you are looking for and why you are interested in their organisation in particular 
  • your goal is to set up a meeting or receive the go-ahead to send your CV. 

Even though writing traditional job application documents may feel a bit old-fashioned, these basic documents still constitute a mandatory part of nearly every job application process. Verbalising your skills and expertise on paper in an engaging and succinct way can be quite challenging. It can be especially challenging to formulate your first CV or application for a job in your preferred field, and you may even feel lost at times. However, you don’t need to be a wizard to conjure up these documents. Here are some basic instructions and tips that will help you improve your jobseeker profile.

The purpose of your job application is to tell people how you will fulfil the selection criteria for the task at hand. You can also talk about your other strengths if they will be of use for the work that you are applying for. If you are applying for a job that is not in your specific field, you will need to evaluate how your skills match the task at hand. 

If you have been away from the job market for a longer period of time, don’t try to explain it in your application. Just talk about yourself in a neutral way, even if the subject is a little bit more difficult. 

Try to stand out, as a good application is your ticket to a job interview. However, while it may be easy to stand out, doing it in an advantageous way can be more difficult. 

The people who will read your applications will also have varying tastes and preferences. Sometimes the best way to stand out is to write a longer, more unique and more marketing-oriented application. You can write your application in your own way, but remember to stick to the usual standards for official documents. Some employers may be more particular when it comes to including certain things in specific places. The important thing is to engage the person who will read your application. 

The surest way to a good application is to write a one-page application letter and an adequately detailed two-page CV. 

A good application is 

  • visually appealing 
  • clear and error-free 
  • instantly understandable – it should allow people to see whether you meet the professional and personal requirements for the job. 

Include a cover letter in your email with your greetings and contact information as well as a few sentences on your skills and expertise. 

While having a LinkedIn profile has not yet completely replaced traditional CVs, in most cases it can help support your CV during the job application process. Your LinkedIn profile also functions as a good online version of your CV even when you are not actively looking for work. 

Use this model to outline and describe your expertise and skills in an easy way. How to structure your application: 

  • beginning: approach the topic at hand 
  • middle: describe your expertise and skills 
  • end: state that you would like to meet in person. 

An open application or marketing letter is used to apply for jobs that have not yet been advertised openly. Remember to really define your expertise and skills – don’t paint an overly general picture. 

  • Highlight your skills in a way that they truly apply to the positions that you wish to apply for. 
  • Think in advance about the work that you would like to do. 
  • Really think about the needs that you could meet that a potential employer may have. 

You can also write your application as an email message. An email application deserves as much time and effort as a traditional application. You can use the traditional application model. 

In the subject field, write “Application” and the name of the position that you are applying for. 

  • Begin with a friendly greeting. 
  • An application that is written in the form of a letter may be more descriptive than a traditional application and it can differ from the usual documentary standards. 
  • Before you say your best regards, remember to inform the reader that your CV has been appended to the application. 
  • End your letter with a final salutation as well as your contact information. 

Online applications that are submitted using an online service have their own special features. A recruiter can perform word searches on them to look for words that describe the nature of the advertised vacancy and the applicant’s personal features. Remember to utilise these keywords in your application, but remember to also focus on your special expertise. 

When you are writing your application, remember to 

  • read the instructions 
  • write any text that is meant for an open text field in advance and then copy it to your online application 
  • print the application for yourself 
  • remember to update it regularly if the application is an open application. 

A video CV is the latest job application tool. With it, you can provide a more versatile impression of yourself than with a traditional CV.  You can upload your short, 1–3-minute video on a free video service and then send the link to the employer. 

You should practice beforehand so that you can focus on your presentation and avoid sounding like you are reading from a piece of paper.  For example, you can 

  • describe your special talents 
  • talk about your personality or strengths 
  • provide an example of your language skills. 

A portfolio is a collection of the best and most important works or achievements that you have made. Its purpose is to provide added value to your job search. You can assemble a portfolio in many different ways. It can be presented in the form of a folder, briefcase, sample work, design or drawing, photo collection, memory stick or DVD. 

Portfolios are most prevalent in more creative fields, but they can be used in many other fields as well. For example, a chef’s portfolio can include their personal recipes, photos of their dishes and the customer feedback that they have received. 

You should assemble a new portfolio for every new application round. However, don't make your portfolio too broad. 

A portfolio can include 

  • certificates, recommendations and evaluations 
  • samples of various work tasks, for example in the form of brochures, posters, programmes or magazine articles 
  • anything that will help you land a job. 

You can send your portfolio to an employer or take it with you to your job interview and present it there. You can also include a link to your portfolio if it is available online.   

Don’t think of a job interview as a one-sided interrogation, but as an opportunity for people to get to know one another. For the employer, the job interview is a way of testing an applicant's suitability for a specific task and team, but the applicant is also whether they are compatible with the company in question. The applicant’s responsibility is often forgotten during the job application process, but by challenging the interviewer, an applicant can show that they are motivated and truly interested in the position, and it can also help them decide whether the company in question suits them as well. Here are a few tips on how to succeed in both traditional interviews and video interviews. 

When you are well-prepared, you can relax and focus on being just yourself. If you feel a little nervous, that’s alright as well. 

Do the following before the interview: 

  • Find more information on the employer. 
  • Think about the task that you have applied for and what was said in the job posting. 
  • Go through your CV to remember what you know. Be ready to also talk about what kinds of tasks you may need help with. 
  • Be ready to talk about your motives and reasons for switching jobs, any holes in your CV and choices that you have made in life. 
  • Think about the questions that you would like to ask about the job and your potential employer. 

A positive first impression goes a long way when people meet for the first time. Dress in a way that suits the position and employer who will interview you. Remember to take your application, work and educational certificates and possible portfolio with you. Be there on time. 

During the interview, the recruiter will evaluate whether you are truly interested in the position as well as your skills and expertise. Above all, the interview will allow them to test your interaction skills and attitude. If there are more than one interviewers present, provide each one with an equal amount of attention. 

Remember that your body language, expressions and the ways that you express yourself tell a lot about yourself. Listen to what they are asking you and think carefully before you answer. Be honest, but remember to also think about what does not need to be said. 

There are usually three stages to an interview: 

  • The first stage often focuses on general matters – the goal is to generate an overall image of the interviewee. 
  • The questions presented during the mid-point of the interview will focus on your motivation. They will also focus on your career and the changes in your career that have happened along the way. In addition, the interviewers will want to know what kind of a person you are, your values and your attitude. 
  • The final stage of the interview will focus on the more practical matters related to the task, such as your salary, working time and start date. This part often includes a discussion on how the application process will proceed next – if necessary, you can also ask this yourself. 

After the interview is over, think about how the interview went in your opinion. What went well and what could you improve upon? 

If you are not chosen for the position, ask the employer or interviewer which factors were emphasised in the choice that was made and what were the reasons why you weren't chosen for the job. 

Below is a list of general questions that are usually asked in job interviews. Practice how you would answer these. The better you prepare, the more confident you will feel during the interview. 

  • Tell us briefly about yourself. 
  • Describe your current or latest job. 
  • Why are you applying for this job? 
  • Why do you want to switch jobs? 
  • What are your goals for the future? 
  • What type of colleague or supervisor are you? 
  • What are the most important things that you learned in your previous jobs? 
  • Describe your dream job or workplace. 
  • What are your strengths and weaknesses? 
  • How will your strengths help you succeed in your task? What have you done or will you do to fix your weaknesses? 
  • What motivates you as an employee? 
  • Describe the type of work community that you thrive in. 
  • Describe your idea of a good place to work. 
  • Do you prefer working alone or in a group? 
  • Why are you applying for a position that is not related to your previous work experience and educational background? 
  • How do you work under pressure? Give a concrete example. 
  • Are you ready to travel for work? 
  • Are you prepared to be flexible with your working hours? 
  • How much salary do you want? 
  • What have you learned in your previous jobs? 
  • What achievement are you particularly proud of? 
  • Why should we choose you? 
  • What would you like to know about us? 
  • Who could recommend you? 
  • If we call the person who recommended you, what would they tell us about you? 

You may be subjected to several similar questions or the order of the questions may seem completely random. However, the interviewer may simply be testing how you cope under pressure. 

There are questions that a person does not need to answer during a job interview. These include questions that are related to a person’s 

  • religion 
  • family relations 
  • sexual orientation 
  • political beliefs. 

In addition to a personal interview, your competence and aptitude for the task may be evaluated in other ways. 

You professional competence can be evaluated with different methods, for example by providing a work sample in a simulated situation that corresponds to the work. The assignment can be implemented as a group assignment or as a small-scale presentation. 

A psychological evaluation can be used to assess and predict how you will perform in a task by studying your thinking, expertise, skills, features or operating models. 

An employer can use a psychological evaluation to find out e.g. 

  • how you solve problems 
  • how well you can withstand pressure 
  • your interaction style and personality – i.e. whether you are a good person. 

It is the employer’s responsibility to ensure that the tests are based on reliable methods and that the information that is gained during the testing process is accurate. The people who perform these tests must be experienced enough. 

The best way to prepare for these types of tests is to be yourself and go in with an open mind. You are always entitled to receive a copy of your test report or oral feedback on it. 

An employment relationship is formed when you and your employer agree on the work that you will do and how much you will be paid for it.

Finnish labour legislation contains absolute provisions that cannot be deviated from even on the basis of a contract if it would disadvantage the employee. The minimum terms of an employment relationship are determined on the basis of a general binding collective agreement, if one exists for the field in question. However, you are allowed to agree with your employer on any terms that are more favourable than the ones presented in the collective agreement.  

Read more

More information

Employment relationships involving those under 18 involve special conditions.

According to the law, young people cannot carry out work which would be unreasonably heavy for someone their age or which would interfere with their school attendance.    

The involvement of young people in certain jobs and work tasks is either limited or forbidden entirely.Whether you are yourself an employee aged under 18 or you are the employer for such a person, it is worth familiarising yourself with the special regulations for employing young people so that you know your rights and obligations.   

Young worker – remember to get a written work contract and make sure that you are paid the correct wage and holidays. If you are under 15, you also require your guardian’s consent to the employment relationship. If you are unsure about your rights, it is worth taking a look at the Young worker web page on the Occupational Safety and Health Administration website. You can also receive help and support from the One-Stop Guidance Centre on work-related matters.

Read more

More information

Your work or studies abroad will be affected by whether you decide to go to an EU or EEA member state or outside these areas. Before you begin applying for work abroad, evaluate your language skills, expertise and the employment situation of your field in your destination country.

Your work or studies abroad will be affected by whether you decide to go to an EU or EEA member state or outside these areas. Before you begin applying for work abroad, evaluate your language skills, expertise and the employment situation of your field in your destination country.

Working in EU or EEA member states and Switzerland

As a Finnish citizen, you will be entitled to the same work-related rights and responsibilities as the citizens of the country in question.

When you intend to move from Finland to another EU or EEA member state or from one of these to Finland, the EURES online service will provide you with the best tips on open jobs, educational opportunities and the situation in the job market.

More information

Working in a country outside the EU and EEA region

If you intend to work outside the EU and EEA, you will usually need a work permit that has been issued by the country’s immigration authority. As a jobseeker, you will be personally required to find out the necessary prerequisites and procedures related to the work permits. For more information, contact e.g. the embassies of the countries that you are interested in.

Interning abroad

An internship supports your professional development, language skills and readiness to work internationally.
If you are studying in a vocational institution, you can apply for a workplace learning spot through your educational institution.

If you are a higher education student, you can find available internships abroad through e.g.

  • your educational institution
  • in case of EDUFI internships, through the Finnish National Agency for Education, which is responsible for international mobility and collaboration
  • international student organisations.

Job interview or application trips within the EU and EEA region and Switzerland

Your TE Office can reimburse you for any travel and accommodation costs for a two-way job interview journey to another EU or EEA member state if the work will last for at least two weeks and your working hours will be at least 18 hours per week on average.

Going on a jobseeking trip on an unemployment allowance

As an unemployed jobseeker, you are allowed to go to another EU or EEA member state or Switzerland for three months to look for work and still retain the right to an unemployment allowance that is paid in Finland.  
During your jobseeking trip, you are only be eligible for the earnings-related unemployment allowance and basic allowance. You will not be able to collect any labour market subsidy during the duration of your trip.

To be able to receive unemployment benefits while you are abroad, your unemployment before your trip must have lasted for at least four weeks. Your TE Office can reduce this period at its discretion and for a special reason, for example if you have already agreed on a job interview. Your unemployment period can also include the time that you have spent on services that promote employment.

Apply for your unemployment benefit well ahead of time

Remember to inform your TE Office of your travel date well before you leave, so that the TE Office can

  • determine that the prerequisites for transferring the unemployment allowance that falls within its domain are met
  • inform the payer of the unemployment benefit that you will be leaving to look for work in another EU or EEA member state or Switzerland.

Remember to order a U2 form from Kela or your unemployment fund well before you leave, as you will need to take this to the labour office of your destination country. Kela or your unemployment fund will determine whether the prerequisites for transferring the unemployment allowance that falls within their domain are met.

Register at the foreign labour office

After you have arrived at your country of destination, remember to register as a jobseeker at the local labour office within seven days. This will allow you to receive your allowance for the duration of your trip. If you complete your registration at a later date, the payment of your allowance will begin after your registration date.

During the jobseeking process, you are required to comply with the obligations and supervision methods that have been mandated by the labour officials of your destination country.

Your unemployment allowance is paid by Kela or your unemployment fund. During your jobseeking trip, you can apply for your unemployment allowance as you would normally online or by mailing your unemployment period notice to the party that pays our allowance.

Register with your TE Office after your trip

When you have returned to Finland, submit your registration to your TE Office immediately.
Your unemployment allowance will be affected if you do not return back to Finland and register as an unemployed jobseeker at the TE Office by the final return date specified in the U2 form.

This will prevent you from receiving any unemployment allowance before you have been employed or participated in labour market training in Finland for four weeks. You may be entitled to a labour market subsidy.

For more detailed instructions, contact your TE Office, Kela or unemployment fund.

If you are not a citizen of an EU or EEA member state or Switzerland, contact the TE Office and payer of your unemployment benefit.

The “Your First EURES Job” support scheme for young people

The “Your First EURES Job” project aims to help young people between the ages of 18 and 35 find a job in other EU member states. Your employment can be supported financially.

Three countries have enacted their own “Your First EURES Job” projects: Sweden, Italy and Germany. 

The “Your First EURES Job” project can help you

  • gain experience in your field, even if you have already worked in an EU member state
  • start your career
  • change the direction of your professional career.

You can apply for support from a “Your First EURES Job” project if you are

  • between the ages of 18 and 35
  • an EU citizen who officially lives in another EU member state.
More information

Reactivate support for people who have turned 35

The Reactivate project aims to help jobseekers who are at least 35 years old find a job in other EU member states. Three EU members states have initiated their own Reactivate projects: Italy, Germany and Poland. More information on these projects is available on the right side of this page. You can apply for support from a Reactivate project if you are

  • at least 35 years old
  • an EU citizen who officially lives in another EU member state
  • an unemployed jobseeker, a part-time worker looking for a job, or a person who wants to make a career switch or change jobs.
More information

Checklist for emigrants

If you are considering a move to another country or will soon move there, you should get to know the work-related practices and customs of your destination country well in advance. You will have to handle many matters in your home country before you move. If you prepare yourself well, you will be able to handle all the necessary matters abroad in an easier manner, which will help you settle in your new country and culture.

Unemployment benefits for seeking a job abroad

Check whether you are eligible for unemployment benefits in Finland for the duration that you will be looking for work in Europe.

You can transfer your unemployment benefits to another EU or EEA member state for a maximum period of three months while you look for a job if you

  • are eligible for a basic unemployment allowance or earnings-related unemployment benefit
  • have been unemployed for at least four weeks before you go abroad.

To enable the transfer, order a U2 form from the party that pays your benefit, i.e. Kela or your unemployment fund. In addition to these, you can also receive more information from your TE Office.

You can transfer your work history to another country with a U1 form, which you can order from the party that pays your unemployment benefits in Finland. Remember to also ask for a U1 form from your local officials once you decide to stop working in another country. You will need it when you come back to Finland. For more information, contact Kela or your unemployment fund.

Submit the following notifices before you move abroad

  • Notify your TE Office of your move. Use the online services and update your jobseeker information. This applies to you if you are an unemployed jobseeker.
  • Submit a change of address and emigration notice. This must always be done in writing. You can find the correct form on the website of the Population Register Centre or your Local Register Office, postal office or Kela office. You must submit your notice at least one week after you have moved. For more information, contact the Population Register Centre.
  • Notify your building or property manager of your move.
  • Notify the tax office of your move.
  • Notify Kela of your move so that, if necessary, you can be issued with a European Health Insurance Card.

Remember to take all your important documents with you

  • Your passport is still the handiest form of identification, even though an official identification card should be enough in the Nordic countries and the Schengen region. If required, take your visa and vaccination certificates. Check whether you will need a residence or work permit in your destination country.
  • Be prepared to present your birth certificate.
  • Get an international driving licence or ask the Automobile and Touring Club of Finland (ATCF) if there are any time limits for your Finnish driving licence.
  • If you intend to take a pet with you, check the website of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry for the documents you may need, such as a EU pet passport.

Arrange your financial matters beforehand

  • Find out how you can submit your tax returns to Finland while you are abroad.
  • Check whether you will accrue any employment pension while you work abroad.
  • Agree on any necessary standing payment orders with your bank. Remember to also check whether your bank has a so-called correspondent bank in your destination country.
  • The need for insurance is affected by whether you will be working while you are abroad. If you are staying in an EU or EEA member state, you are already entitled to basic health care at local prices. But when you intend to move outside the EU and EEA region, consider whether you will need additional insurance.
  • If necessary, you can provide a contact in Finland with the power of attorney for any matters related to your bank or taxation, for example.

Get to know the conditions in the destination country well in advance

Before you move, you should check at least the following details on your destination country:

  • the websites of Finnish diplomatic missions
  • the apartments that are available and how they have been furnished, as well as their costs and electric plugs
  • the level and costs of medical and dentistry services as well as the related insurances
  • its culture and living conditions.

Things to remember while you are in your destination country

Submit the following notices:

  • If you have informed your TE Office that you intend to go to an EU or EEA member state to look for a job for a maximum duration of three months, remember to also register with the destination country’s labour services. Submit your notice within seven days after your date of departure so that you will be able to collect your unemployment allowance during the duration of your trip.
  • Submit an immigration notice and send your contact information to the local Finnish diplomatic mission. When you move to another Nordic country, register yourself with the country’s registration authority.

Check that you have the following contracts and agreements:

  • Ask for an employment contract in writing.
  • Sign a written lease for your apartment.
  • Make any necessary electricity, gas and water supply agreements.
  • Sign a banking agreement.

Find out where your health care providers are and the emergency numbers.

Questions and answers

Open positions in EU and EEA member states are available on EURES, the European Job Mobility Portal. The job postings come from EURES members and partners, especially from public European labour agencies. You can identify them from the abbreviation EPES. 

Employers use the portal to advertise jobs for which they are especially interested in hiring employees from other European countries. These “EURES jobs” can be identified from the blue flag. 

The EURES portal will also help you formulate your CV. In addition to the portal, you can also find tips and links on where you can find jobs from the website of the TE Services. Use the Foreign countries search menu in the Job Vacancies search. 

You should first ask your employer whether they can help you find an apartment. The information on the job in EURES may specify if the employer is able to provide housing. 

However, you will often be required to look for an apartment, much in the same way as you would in Finland. 

Your employer will decide on the language skills required by the task. When you are looking for a job, you will usually be required to have at least a good command of the language of your destination country. In some international corporations, the working language may be e.g. English no matter where the work is done. However, you will often need to know the local language when you are outside the office.

The job advertisement will often specify what type of application the employer is looking for. The contents of your application letter and CV will be fairly similar to the ones used in Finland. 

However, be aware that there are differences in practices between different countries. For example, in Britain you should add the contact information of the people who can recommend you, and in Germany you will be expected to append copies of your certificates. 

A common European model for CVs has been approved for use in the EU. It is suitable for both vocational and academic graduates. This Europass CV provides a clear picture of your competence and professional skills. 

Include the following in your Europass CV: 

  • your personal information 
  • your educational background 
  • your previous work experience 
  • the knowledge and skills that you have gained in your life that you have not received a certificate for. 

You can download the CV model from the CV online section in the EURES portal or from the Europass website. The model is available in several different languages. 

You do not need to send any copies of your certificates unless specifically requested to do so in the job advertisement. However, take note that different countries have different practices – for example, you may need to send them for a position in Germany. Usually you will only need to send an application letter and your CV to begin with. 

If you do not have any certificates available in the language of your destination country, you may need to translate them. If you translate them yourself, they can still be of use in the job application process. 

Authorised translations cost money and you will usually only need them if you are applying for a regulated profession. These include for example the position of a doctor or nurse which are subject to specific competency requirements laid out in the country’s law or regulations. 

You can never know with absolute certainty how much time it will take to apply for a job in Finland or abroad. If there is great demand for employees in the field, you can find a job very quickly. Your employer may request that you should begin the work at short notice. 

When you are applying for work abroad, you should reserve more time for the process, for example 3–4 months. If you decide to move abroad, this will entail many practical arrangements that will take quite a bit of time. 

The taxation of the work that you perform abroad is affected by whether your salary will be paid by a foreign or Finnish employer. 

If your salary is paid by a foreign employer 

  • you will pay your taxes to the country that you are working in 
  • you do not need a Finnish tax card abroad 
  • your tax rate is defined by the laws of the country you are working in. 

Your salary is also subject to taxation in Finland, but in practice most tax agreements will prevent your salary from being taxed twice. You should visit the local tax office during the first days of your work abroad. 

Find out more about any basic matters related to the taxation principles of your destination country with your employer before you accept the job. You should also contact your local tax office in Finland before you leave. 

Your TE Office can reimburse you for any travel and accommodation costs for a two-way job interview journey to another EU or EEA member state if the work will last for at least two weeks and your working hours will be at least 18 hours per week on average.   

As an unemployed jobseeker, you are allowed to go to another EU or EEA member state or Switzerland for three months to look for work and still retain the right to an unemployment allowance that is paid in Finland. 

You may receive a mobility subsidy for any expenses that are caused when you accept a job. The subsidy is paid by your unemployment fund or Kela. 

More information on job interview or application trips in the EU and EEA region and Switzerland 
More information on travel and accommodation expense compensation 

You can apply for support from the Your First EURES Job project when you are going abroad for a job interview or to work if 

  • you are between the ages of 18 and 35 
  • you are a EU citizen and you officially live in some other EU member state, Norway or Iceland 
  • your place of employment is located in a EU member state, Norway or Iceland, but not in Switzerland or Liechtenstein. 

More information on the Your First EURES Job subsidy for young people 

You can apply for support from the Reactivate project when you are going abroad for a job interview or to work if 

  • you are at least 35 years old 
  • you are an EU citizen and you officially live in another EU member state 
  • you are looking for work in another EU member state 

More information on the Reactivate subsidy 

These forms are used to define your social benefits when you move from one country to another. 

Form U2 allows you to transfer your unemployment benefit to another country for a maximum period of three months, during which you will look for work abroad.  

Form U1 is used to prove your insurance and working period. If you have worked in an EU member state and you become unemployed before the employment period required for the unemployment benefit has been met, you can utilise the insurance and working periods that you have accumulated in other EU member states. 

When you move as an EU citizen from one member state to another, your social security is defined by the EU regulation on the coordination of social security systems, or the so-called basic regulation. This applies to all EU and EEA member states. 

This social security regulation is further applied to the citizens of so-called third countries – i.e. people who come from other countries than the ones included in the EU and EEA and Switzerland – if their country of departure or country of application is the United Kingdom or Denmark. This regulation includes forms E303 and E301, and they correspond to the U forms used in EU member states. 

For more information and the forms, contact Kela or your unemployment fund. 

Before you return back to Finland from your work abroad, remember to ask for specific certificates that you will need for your unemployment benefits and insurances. Doing this after the fact may be more laborious than you expect. 

  • Your work reference should include the date that the work started and ended as well as the reason for why the work ended for any potential unemployment benefit applications. 
  • You can ask for your U1 form – or E301 form – on your work and insurance periods from the officials who handle unemployment insurance matters in the country in question. 
  • Remember to also ask for any certificates on other than salaried work if for example you have been studying or looked for jobs. 
  • Even your payroll statements can sometimes be of use in unemployment insurance matters. 

The TE Offices do not have any lists of Finnish companies that operate abroad. The TE Office can only tell you about the vacancies that an employer has advertised at the moment. 

If a Finnish company advertises a vacancy that is located abroad, you will find it on the Open vacancies page. Use the search filter titled “abroad”. 

A posted worker is an employee who has been sent to work in another country by their employer. 

 If a person is sent to work abroad from Finland 

  • they are subject to Finnish laws and collective agreements during the employment relationship, but they must also take the host country's regulations into account 
  • the employer will pay for the posted employee’s trips and accommodations. 

An employee who is looking for a position is an employee who travels abroad on their own initiative and finds a job there. 

In such cases 

  • the work is subject to the labour laws, social security policies and collective agreements of the country where the work is performed 
  • the applicant must usually pay for their trips and housing, unless otherwise agreed. 

When it comes to the taxation, insurances and social security of an employee, there are significant differences between a posted worker and an employee who has found employment abroad. For example, see Kela’s website Posted workers

If you cannot find the answers that you are looking for, send your questions to the EURES portal’s chat service or by email: eures@te-toimisto.fi

Chat with a EURES adviser (ec.europa.eu/eures) 

Will your long-term unemployment or health problems affect your chances of finding employment? 

Finding work does not always depend solely on how active you are. The threshold to find employment may be high for different reasons. Perhaps you have stayed at home with small children for a long time, the length of your unemployment has been prolonged, or it is more difficult to find work because of your illness or disability. 

You may need personal guidance or financial support before you can enter the job market. If it feels as though you are not making any progress, TE Services can help. 

TE Services collaborate with municipalities, Kela and different employment projects, strengthening your opportunities to find employment. The path can also be long and contain a combination of different services. 

More information


A lay-off is a temporary interruption of the performance of duties and payment of wages associated with an employment relationship. Your employment relationship will remain in force throughout the lay-off period. Unemployment security can provide you with financial support during a lay-off.   

If you are laid-off, register as a jobseeker. This should be done on the first day of your unemployment at the very latest. You can register already before your lay-off begins or your working time is reduced to a shortened work week. A lay-off is a temporary interruption of the performance of duties and payment of wages associated with an employment relationship, but with the relationship otherwise remaining in force.

Remember that you have the right to receive a written explanation of the lay-off beforehand. The employer must give the start date of the lay-off, the reason and the estimated length. Remember that you can work for another employer during the lay-off. If you find a new job and there is over one week of the lay-off remaining, you can hand in your notice without any notice period. 

An employer can lay off employees either for a fixed term or indefinitely.  A full-time lay-off means that your working duties are terminated altogether. In a part-time lay-off, your daily or weekly working hours are reduced. 

If you have been laid off indefinitely or your lay-off continues for longer than three months, read the instructions carefully on how to proceed after registering as an unemployed jobseeker at the TE Service.  

If your lay-off is temporary and continues for three months or less, it is unlikely you will need personalised service from one of our experts. You can contact the TE Office, however, if you want one-on-one service.  

You will be entitled to unemployment benefits for the duration of your lay-off period, if you have registered as an unemployed jobseeker at the TE Office, and the other criteria are also met. The TE Offices will provide your unemployment fund or Kela with a labour policy statement on your right to receive an unemployment benefit for the duration of your lay-off period. 

Instructions for customers in local government trials on employment 

If you are laid-off, follow the registration instructions and register as a jobseeker. After registering, you will be informed if you are transferred to a local government trial on employment.  

Notify your municipality of residence of any changes during the lay-off, such as the termination of the lay-off. 

Read more


More information

When you are receiving an unemployment benefit, you have not only rights but also certain obligations.

The rights of an unemployed jobseeker 

When you have registered as an jobseeker, you are entitled to 

  • TE Office’s services for unemployed jobseekers 
  • unemployment benefits, if you meet the other requirements 
  • help in finding employment. 

Together with the TE Office, you will draw up an employment plan, which will include the goals you have set for your job search and the activities you have committed to, which will help you achieve your goals. The plan and its implementation are assessed every three months in accordance with the agreement you have made with a TE Office expert. 

Your entitlement to unemployment benefits depends on whether you are working as a salary earner or an entrepreneur, or whether you are self-employed (for example, a caregiver to a family member, or a professional athlete). The amount of work required by your employment and the duration of employment also play a role. 

The TE Office always assesses the amount of work required by your activities and its effect on your unemployment benefits on a case-by-case basis. Only the amount of work required is crucial in determining whether you are a full-time entrepreneur; the amount of income or profit obtained is insignificant. The assessment made by the TE Office is not necessarily consistent with decisions made by the party paying for your unemployment benefit (Kela or your unemployment fund), or the tax administration. 

If you receive unemployment benefits, you can 

  • study part-time 
  • do voluntary work, if it is unpaid and ordinary non-profit work for the public good 
  • work part-time 
  • work as a part-time entrepreneur or take on short-term assignments 
  • start business activities. If you start your entrepreneurial activities while unemployed, the TE Office will not determine whether your business activities are full-time or part-time during the first four months of the entrepreneurial activity. 

The obligations of an unemployed jobseeker 

If you apply for or receive unemployment benefits, you have to apply for full-time work. An essential requirement for receiving unemployment benefits is that you have registered with the TE Office as a full-time jobseeker, and your job search is valid.  Your job search will remain valid if you deal with the TE Office in the agreed manner, keep to the agreed times, and follow the instructions and deadlines provided to you by the TE Office either in the E-services or through other channels. 

In addition, you will have to take care of the following obligations 

  • make sure that the TE Office can reach you, and update your contact details by submitting any changes in the E-services or by telephone 
  • accept work offered to you by the TE Office or an employer; when a job offer is made to you by the TE Office, you are obliged to contact the employer and inform the TE Office accordingly within the deadline 
  • accept training offered by the TE Office; when the TE Office offers training, you are obliged to apply for the labour market training and to notify the TE Office of your application within the deadline 
  • participate in interviews, and the drafting and updating of your employment, activation or integration plan 
  • apply for and participate in all the services for the promotion of employment as agreed in your personal plan drafted with the TE Office, or otherwise offered to you by the TE Office; complete all the assignments in the plan, and inform the TE Office of their completion 
  • if you are under the age of 25 and have not completed any education or training after your basic education or general upper secondary school, resulting in a qualification and providing you with vocational skills, you have to apply for at least two study places in the spring. Check that you fulfil the eligibility conditions for these study places. Contact the nearest One-Stop Guidance Center for more information and help. 

Please note that your activity as a jobseeker affects the amount of unemployment benefits you will receive. If you neglect your obligations, you may lose your right to unemployment benefits either for a fixed term or indefinitely. 

Instructions for customers in local government trials on employment 

The rights and obligations of a jobseeker also apply to the customers of the local government trial on employment. If you are a customer of a local government trial on employment, the employment plan is prepared with you in your municipality of residence, which also offers you services that promote employment. Please use services as required by the municipality in your municipality of residence instead of the TE Office.