Unemployment security for immigrants

If you become unemployed, register as an unemployed jobseeker with the TE Office.

To be registered as a jobseeker, you must be a citizen of an EU / EEA member state, a family member of an EU / EEA citizen, or you must have a residence permit. However, if your residence permit states that you may only work for one specific employer, you cannot be registered as a jobseeker. Other restrictions entered in the residence permit, such as permission to only work in a certain profession, do not prevent registration as a jobseeker.

If you have already gained work experience in Finland and you become unemployed or laid off, you are entitled to unemployment allowance. If you have joined an unemployment fund, the unemployment allowance is paid by your unemployment fund. If you are not a member of an unemployment fund, the daily allowance is paid by Kela (Social Insurance Institution of Finland). Unemployment funds and Kela check that the working condition of 26 weeks is met. If the requirements are not met or if you have received unemployment allowance for the maximum period of 300 / 400 / 500 days, you can apply for labour market subsidy from Kela.

If you have not yet gained enough work experience from Finland, you can apply for labour market subsidy from Kela. Note, however, that if you have a temporary residence permit (B), you are not entitled to labour market support.

Whether or not you are entitled to Finnish social security is also a factor in determining your right to unemployment security. Kela makes decisions on the right to Finnish social security.

Instructions for customers in local government trials on employment 

If you have been a customer of the local government trial on employment and your job search has been interrupted, you can contact your municipality of residence or the TE Office. Experts in both can assess whether you can re-register as a jobseeker. 


Read more

More on other sites