Partial ability to work

When you are choosing a vocation or education, in addition to your interests or predispositions you must also take into consideration possible limitations caused by your disabilities or illnesses.   

A disability or illness often does not affect getting work or selection of a professional field. However, it can sometimes reduce your possibilities for getting work or keeping your job. An illness or disability can reduce your ability to work or function, but it does not necessarily make you unfit to work. Your possibilities on the labour market are improved by  

  • a correctly chosen and proportioned job  
  • tailored work tasks and environment  
  • adequate skills and training  
  • support from the TE office for the job search  

Establish your state of health and your own needs 

Establish your state of health if it has not been checked in a long time or if you feel that changes have taken place. You will need a medical certificate to get services to support your work ability 

  • if you are employed, your employer has arranged occupational health services that support your ability to work  
  • if you are a student, you have student health care services available to you  
  • if you are unemployed you can apply for a medical examination for the unemployed organised by your municipality. 

For example, a work try-out, a pay subsidy, and having a medical check-up can help you establish your ability to work and your suitability for various jobs and fields. Support can be granted for the arrangement of conditions at the workplace, for example. Career counselling and educational guidance can, to a certain degree, help in finding suitable alternatives for you, especially if switching careers or further education are topical issues for you.  

If your situation is challenging and, for example, includes problems in life management it is also a good idea to find out the possibilities for rehabilitative work activities or for multi-sectoral joint service (TYP) jointly produced by different authorities to promote employment. 

The TE office is responsible for coordinating the assessment of the capability to work and function. The TE office can, if necessary, refer you to your municipal health services.  

Municipal health counselling and medical check-ups must support an unemployed person's ability to work and function, prevent illnesses, and promote mental health and coping. If necessary, people need to be referred to treatment, or to pharmaceutical, vocational, or social rehabilitation.  

The ability of the unemployed to work and function must be evaluated at different stages of unemployment in primary health care and, if necessary, in specialised care.  

An employer can get support for changes at the workplace  

Getting a job or keeping it can require changes at the workplace. You might also need help in some work tasks.  

Before you take a job, speak to an expert at a TE office on whether or not the employer is entitled to support for arrangements for conditions at work. If you already have a job, it is a good idea to discuss these needs for changes with occupational health services.  

Employers have an obligation, and often also the desire, to make reasonable modifications in the work and working conditions if it will eliminate an impediment to work caused by an injury or illness. Support for arrangements in conditions at work can also help keep those who have jobs to stay at work. The employer applies for the subsidy.  

Rehabilitation improves your possibilities at work  

A special need for service caused by a disability or illness can be taken into consideration in all public employment services. You need not be left alone. You can ponder employment matters together with a work coach or ask for your municipal social services to join the effort. Contact information is usually easiest to find on the website of your municipality.  

In addition to TE services, you might need other types of support and rehabilitation options in order to enter the job market, stay employed, or find a job.  

Traffic and accident insurance institutions, work pension companies, and the Social Insurance Institution of Finland organise legally mandated professional rehabilitation. To access the service, certain requirements need to be met. The institutions also provide an income for the time that they arrange or replace versatile rehabilitation.  

If you think you may be entitled to occupational rehabilitation it is important to ascertain the institution responsible for it. If you have a job, get in touch with your occupational health service. You can also speak with your doctor about possibilities for rehabilitation. A TE office expert will also help you ascertain possibilities for rehabilitation.  

Certificate for job applicants with partial work ability

As a TE office client you can ask for a certificate from the TE office to a large employer, saying that you have been entered into the customer register of the TE office as a job applicant with partial work ability. As an employee you must submit the certificate to your employer.  


More information